Rebel Purl Yarn Retreat
Rebel Purl Yarn Retreat
What could be better than yarn crafting? Doing it in a cabin the woods with other yarn loving humans! Of course.
This will be the first ever official Rebel Purl Yarn Retreat. This event will take place January 19-21, 2024 at Bradford Woods in southern Indiana.
THE HUMANS: This first ever retreat will be hosted by Mary of Rebel Purl and Evie of Evie's Craftroom. This means you will have both knitting and crochet knowledge available all weekend. Evie has knowledge of all kinds of yarn and nature things; Mary knows about yarn and many bad/scary/weird movies. Along with other things - to list it all here would be insane. And very random.
Anyone who likes humans and crafting is welcome to attend. The only requirements are respect and covid vaccinations. There are no restrictions based on mental health, religion, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, clothing choices, or what yarn craft you prefer. Craft shaming is not allowed. Neither is being rude about any of the above listed things or anything else.
We will not be requiring masks during the event as the space is so closely shared, but feel free to wear yours if you like. Anyone experiencing possible symptoms or who is recently exposed is asked to stay home (reach out to me and I will make sure you get your goodie bag). We want this small event to be as safe as possible for all involved. Proof of current vaccination is required before your spot will be confirmed.
THE PLACE: We will be crafting together in Ryan Cottage. There are 3 rooms with 3 beds each, so we will be sharing. Each room has a top bunk, a bottom bunk and a single bed. There are options to bring your own bedding or have bedding provided for your stay. This location is somewhat accessible however there is a gravel/dirt/grass trail leading to the front door and there a small ramp to get inside. There are 3 shared restrooms inside and one of them is a wheelchair accessible shower/bathroom.
SUSTENANCE: All meals and some snacks will be provided, including vegetarian options. The menu will be officially posted once we are getting closer to the event. If you have any additional dietary/snacking needs not listed on the menu, feel free to bring your own. Just make sure they are clearly labeled and as compact as possible as we will all be sharing one fridge.
PRETTIES: Each attendee will receive a goodie bag (including one hank of an exclusive colorway dyed just for this event) and one drawing ticket just for coming to yarn with us. You can get additional drawing tickets throughout the weekend for all kinds of things. Showing off a super cool crafted item, helping someone learn something new, making the most impressive s'more, or just generally being awesome. We will not be stingy with the tickets. And on the last day we will do a drawing for one randomly selected grand prize winner.
EVENTS: Events planned are subject to adjustment due to group preferences and weather. Planned options are listed here.
- Getting to Know You
- Craft Show & Tell
- Visible Mending Class
- Nature Hike / Walk
- Board Games
- S'mores Time via bonfire or indoor fire, depending on weather
- Long Brunch Goodbye
SALES: This is not a sales specific event. Evie's Craftroom & Rebel Purl will have a small amount of yarn and tools available in case someone needs/wants something for crafting (or you just want to snag a skein for fun). Just ask a host and we will make sure you are taken care of. Indigo Guinea will be making a stop with the truck for a quick sales event if we don't have what you are wanting. This event is all about enjoying time with other crafting humans in a relaxing spot.
GET A SPOT: This event will be pre-order only. Final purchases must be made before December 1st.
- When you purchase you will be choosing a bed type: top bunk, bottom bunk or single. If you want to bring your own bedding, use the code BYOBED for a $35 discount. If you want us to provide a pillow, sheets and blanket for your stay purchase your bed choice as it is.
- If the spot you want is sold out, grab a waitlist spot. If the type of bed you want opens up, we will reach out and let you know. If all spots are sold out, go ahead and grab a waitlist spot. We will reach out to waitlisters in the order your request was received.
- Once your spot is confirmed (you've purchased and we have verified receipt of your proof of current covid vaccination) you will get a questionaire on all the planning things. Food allergies, room sharing preferences, favorite colors, most hated colors, etc. This will help with assigning beds, selecting your bedding if you have that option, snack/beverage stocking, and with creating the exclusive colorway. If you have a CPAP or are a super light sleeper, this is where you let us know that. If you are attending with friends, give us names so we can bunk you together.
- Your spot/goodie bag comes with one hank of the exclusive colorway. If you would like to pre-order more than one base or skein, there will be a pre-order listing available upon request. Any pre-order request must be received before December 8th, or 7 days after initial spot pre-orders close.
- There will be a wifi hotspot available, but we are in the woods. Be aware it is a spotty connection at times. You can probably do a little homework or send some work emails but maybe not stream any television shows or movies.
- In case of snow, Bradford Woods is fantastic at clearing their roads and paths and salting walkways. And we will have an indoor option/alternative activity for everything planned outside.
- If you are a maker and would like to donate something for attendee gift bags or prizes, please reachout to firstname.lastname@example.org for mailing address or drop it off in the store. If you do donate items, please include your business cards to hand out.
- In order to keep the pricing as low as possible:
- Your spot once purchased is not refundable, unless the event is cancelled by us. If you are unable to make it, either due to scheduling or illness or whatever reason, you are welcome to sell/switch your spot to another human. However this human must also meet the requirements of kindness and covid vaccinations and we must receive their proof of vaccinations before they will be approved for the event. If you would like us to sell your spot to someone on a waitlist, we will let you know if this option is available. If the event is cancelled by us for any reason, then you would receive a refund of 85% (ie $255 of your $300).
- Bedding is an included option on your initial purchase unless you use the code to remove it from your cost. This is so that everyone can relax as much as possible without having to drag bedding along, or if you are traveling you won't have to worry about buying or bringing it with you. The BYOBED code will remove $35 from your overall price and there will NOT be bedding available for you on site.
- Hand and dish soap are provided but personal care items such as shampoo/conditioner/toothpaste/etc will NOT.
- Attendance does not include transportation to the cabin. You will need to get yourself to the retreat from the airport, bus station or home of origin. And you will need to get yourself back.
To retain bright colors, do not store in direct sunlight. Items crafted from this yarn should be handwashed (or machine washed in delicate /handwash cycle) and then either laid flat or hung to dry.
Colors should be bright and permanent, but if you find any of the dye running from your fabric or yarn, soak in hot water with a bit of acid citric acid or vinegar) then rinse well. Do not dry in a machine.