2023 Craft Alongs
ALL THE SOCKS 2023 - This is an in store KAL.
- We have meetings posted on the calendar at least twice a month to work on our socks together.
- In order to get a spot in this KAL, you must purchase Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy Johnson from our store. These are only available as pre-order with a very small amount available in store after pre-orders are over.
- We want you to make socks from the book to get yourself started, but I will not require all your socks be from the book. Try to make the first 4 pairs from the book, then make sure you follow all the other requirements here to play along.
- Socks for the KAL must be made with yarn purchased in our store - this can be any of the local dyers, just needs to be purchased at our shop.
- Each month, everyone who completes one pair of adult socks (and brings it in to the store for our records and your entry) will be entered in a drawing for a 10% off code to use in store or online. There will be 1 winner each month. Your code never expires and can be used at any time.
- At the end of the year, everyone who has completed all 12 pairs of adult socks will receive one skein on 4 Plies of the Apocalypse in an exclusive colorway only for this event. You do not have to have a completed pair each month for this. Sometimes schedules allow more or less time for our crafting. So for the exclusive skein, you just need to have completed the 12 within the year.
- The only other way to qualify for the exclusive KAL skein is to enter the online version listed below.
Rebel Purl Instagram Sockalong 2023 -
This is general online only sock craft along! You can knit or crochet your adult socks, but you must make them with Rebel Purl yarn.
- To play along, make a pair of adult socks (knit or crochet) with Rebel Purl yarn each month.
- Post a picture of both your unwound skein and your completed socks to Instagram - you must both tag @rebelpurl.qrg and use the hashtag #rebelpurlsockalong2023 along with a hashtag for the month your socks are completed. Make sure you tag me so that I can see the post!
- Each month I will round up those tagged images and randomly draw 3 winners of a 10% off discount code that can only be used online. Codes do not expire and can be used at anytime.
- At the end of the year, anyone who has completed 12 pairs of adult socks using Rebel Purl yarn will receive one free skein of 4 Plies of the Apocalypse dyed in an exclusive colorway, only available to sockalong participants who complete all 12 pairs.
There are 2 versions of the Sock Along so that we are not leaving out anyone who may not be in the Bloomington area or is just not able to make it into the shop or who crochets but still loves socks. I will try do the same with any future craft alongs to make sure no one gets left out.
This is my first time trying to run something like this! So be kind, but if you have any questions or issues, please do let me know. I'm going to do my best.
Q - Can people enter both online and in the store, or just one?
A - Since I am throwing this together at the last minute instead of putting both options out at the same time, I will allow you to enter in both and we will see how it goes. We may adjust requirements or make other changes next year if we do an in store sock along again. Or we may just run this online and do a different in store craft along. However you enter keep in mind that each has different requirements.
If you follow all the requirements listed for all 12 pairs of adult socks of the in store KAL and entries, you will get a free skein of the exclusive colorway. And if you follow the requirements listed for all 12 pairs of adults socks of the Instagram sock along, you will get a free skein of the exclusive colorway. So this means that if you complete both as required, you will get 2 skeins at the end of the year.
Q - For the online entries it says a picture of the unwound skein - what if I already wound my first skein?
A - Since this is last minute, I will allow January Instagram entries to show a wound skein and a finished sock. No worries.
Q - Do you have a crochet sock pattern or do we find our own?
A - I have only the most basic of crochet knowledge at this point, so you will have to find your own. However I will see if I can get some books in the shop next time we order with crochet sock options. And Ivan of Level Up Fiber Arts has offered to help people find online patterns. So feel free to check in if you are needing a little assist on your hunt.
**Suggested on FB: I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting Socks by Karen Whooley
Q - Can I use your light worsted weight yarn to make socks for this?
A - Yes, any Rebel Purl Yarn is good, as long as you are making a pair of adult socks.